Warm woolen mittens are one of our favorite things, and they got special attention when Sen. Bernie Sanders wore them, sitting in a folding chair looking grumpy, at President Biden’s inauguration. Sanders’ mien and mittens, in the photo by photographer Brendan Smialowski, went viral, making the Twitter universe, and many others, happy for many cold winter days. The mittens were famously given to Sanders by Vermonter Jen Ellis, a former Mainer. Ellis learned to sew at Mahoney Middle School in South Portland, taught by home economics teacher Jeannette Collett. Here are a few Mainers with their mittens, including Collett, who is wearing her very own pair of Jen Ellis mittens.
- Policy Matters: Broadband
- Marjorie Taylor Greene blasted for attacking colleague’s transgender child
- Maine Seacoast Mission’s boat, the Sunbeam, will take COVID vaccines to outer islands
- Manhattan prosecutor gets Trump tax records after long fight
- U.S. jobless claims fall to 730,000 but layoffs remain high
- Hello world! on